05 February 2013

FHWC: Words vs Images

     I've been making good progress toward finishing my Albea family book as part of the Family History Writing Challenge.  I've gotten some writing done for another generation and done a good amount of formatting.  But as I've been working, I've been wondering if I have too little text and too many images.  My book is currently 76 pages long, which is the exact same number of images that I have in the book.  This makes me wonder if I have too many images.

     Here's my concept: each generation gets a genealogy sketch, about 1,000 - 2,000 words.  This usually focuses on the father of the family, since I'm fallowing a paternal line.  The subsequent pages spotlight individual documents, such as census, court, or marriage records, as well as grave stone photos or whatever else I might have.  If needed, I'll have a paragraph or two explaining the document and what I learned from it.  I want to include as many images as possible for a couple of reasons: (1) they're cool, (2) so that I can cite my sources by including my sources.

     Here's an (unfinished) example. It shows a 1920 census page and a mortgage deed. I explain a bit about each record.  In other instances, I don't explain anything about a record if I've already talked about it in the genealogy sketch.


     I wonder if I have enough writing in this book, or am relying too much on the images?  I know a lot about these ancestors and I wonder if that is affecting my book.  Do I need to write more and explain more about the documents, or is that redundant when I've included images of the document? Is using an image in place of words a cop out?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You may want to transcribe some of the documents which are more difficult to read. If you're giving copies to older family members, they may have a difficult time reading the older style writing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails