18 July 2011

Will of Thomas Albea - Amanuensis Monday

     I had previously obtained an abstract of the will of my 5x-Great Grandfather, Thomas Albea, from the book Heritage of faith: the Calvert, Green and Alvey family histories, by James H Mosby (available on ancestry.com).  Now, thanks to the recent addition of North Carolina Probate Records on FamilySearch.org, I have a copy of the entire will.  I've transcribed it here and included the original image below.
*If you are an Albea family relative, please contact me at vrc84@yahoo.com*

In the name of God Amen. I Thomas Albea of the County of Iredell and State of North Carolina being weake + frail but of perfect sound mind and memory do publish this my Last will and Testament in the manner and form following to wit. First, I give and bequeath my soul into the hands of almighty God who gave it and my body to the Earth from which it was taken to be decently interred in the burying Ground of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Mount Bethel and my funeral expences to be paid out of the first monies which may come to the hands of my Executors from any portion of my Estate. I further direct that all my just debts be paid by my Executor, herein after named, and as touching my Worldly Estate with which it hath pleased God to bless me. I give and bequeath of it as follows: First, I give to my beloved son, Tilman Albea a negro Boy named Jerry, I give and bequeath to my beloved son Cyrus Albea the sum of four hundred dollars, I give to my beloved son Benjamin C Albea a ego Boy named Jack, I give to my beloved son Baker Albea a track of land Known as the Walton (?) beall (?) tract adjoining the lands of Alexander Baily, James Patterson + James B Goodby together with sixteen acres taken from my home plantation --?-- the aforementioned pice also a negro woman named Rachael + a small Girl named Hannah, a horse saddle, a Bride to the value of fifty dollars, I give and bequeath to my daughter Henrietta Ward five dollars, I give and bequeath to the heirs of my daughter Sarah Carolina Casten (of her body) one hundred + fifty dollars, I give to the heirs of the body of my Daughter Nancy Beggarly one hundred + fifty dollars, I give and bequeath to the heirs of the body of my Daughter Emeline Terrel a negro Girl named Calency. I further then give + bequeath my Daughter Emily Albea a negro Boy + Girl the boy named Amas and the girl named Mary and one Cow and Calf and bed furniture - I give + bequeath my nephew Thomas Campbellfive Dollars. I give to my nephew B--? Campbell twenty five Dollars, also to my nephew umphry Campbell five Dollars, I further de--? that the res__? of my Estate after paying the afore mentioned sums of money if any left be divided among six of my children to sit Baker Albea, Benjamin C. Albea, Emmaline Terrell, Nancy Beggarly + Sarah Caroline Carter and Emily Albea as follows: To Baker Albea one third of the whole sum and the remaning part equally devised among Benjamin C. Albea, Nancy Biggarly, Emmaline Terrell, Sarah C. Carten + Emily albea and lastly I desire Benjamin C. Albea, Baker Albea or Emily Albea when the sale of the Balance of my property shall take place to by a negro girl named Vera, I lastly appoint my beloved son Benjamin C. Albea + Baker Albea Executor of my last --? testament. In writing whereof I have hereto set my ahdn and seal in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight hundred forty three 4th day of October.

Thomas (his X mark) Albea

Alex + Bailey Turner
William Turner
Signed and sealed in presence of Umphrey Campbell.

Thomas Albea Will

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails