30 August 2009

The Augusta Chronicle Goldmine

The Augusta Chronicle's archive website is a wonderful resource for anyone researching ancestors in the Georgia and South Carolina border area. Their fully searchable, online collection spans the Daily Chronicle & Sentinel, The Augusta Chronicle and Gazette of the State, and The Daily Chronicle & Constitution. It's not clear what dates are covered, but I returned results from the 1990s to the 1880s. The newspapers cover a wide swath of area, covering news from across the region, including somewhat distant cities such as Lincolnton, GA and Greenwood and Columbia, SC.

I bought a one-day pass ($4.95) and was able to search their archive for a little over 24 hours. The search is based on OCR text recognition, so it's not perfect, but it is very good. I turned up a lot of obituaries for distant aunts and uncles, and a little infant I would not have otherwise known about.

One search I had luck with was "Surname NEAR town/county NEAR died." This turned up the obituaries of entire families in certain areas. Here are a few I found:


Nellie Albea Ivey Martha Regan Quattlebaum

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails